Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Same old, same old

As a stay at home mom, don't you love being asked, "How's life, what's new...?" If I could only answer truthfully..."well, Cameron just barely went from size three diapers to size four diapers and has gone from two naps to one...he is less of a picky eater than he used to be...and Drew...well, lets just say it will be a miracle if he makes it to his fourth birthday." :) I am feeling the monotony of motherhood these days and am desperately looking for a way to change that. I guess we mommies go through it from time to time, it's just hard for me to really enjoy my kids 'cause I have so much going on in my mind, and then they just frustrate me...not purposely, I know. I love my little boys dearly and constantly have to tell myself that they are limited by their ages. Sometimes I expect more than I should and for that I feel bad. Poor Drew woke up this morning with the most horrendous cough ever! He was coughing so hard that he threw-up...poor kid. I was so worried about cleaning up the puke, that I paid very little attention to him and how he felt (see, it's like I have blinders on!!!). Anywho, any advice from any of you mommies that read my blog? How do you put aside your responsibilities and obligations to just sit and enjoy your kids? What kind of things do you do, or have you done to break out of the binds of monotony? I would sure love another point of view...For those of you who are still reading this...you're check is in the mail :)

4 comments:

meleah said...

I think this is a topic that you will always be asking. I feel like I go through this all the time. I have found in each stage that my family had been in things have had to change. Now that I have three kids and one of them in is school, everything has changed. My life has been turned upside down the last year of my life!!!! It is way more important then ever before to have my house in order (I am a horrible house wife, but I have had to find ways to make improvements, like not spending so much time on the computer :))
For me, I just had to find the things that make everyone else's life better and improve on those.
I feel like the more and more that I turn my energy and time over to my family and what they need it makes my life more fulfilling and more gratifying then any of my "crafts" ever gave me.
Does that make sense...

Unknown said...

Obviously I can't give you any advice about motherhood because I am not a mother yet, but I want to thank you for your honesty. I think it is refreshing to hear about the monotony and hardships that are involved in raising children and I think it's very helpful to hear about the good's and the bad's in all situations. Keep holding on, I am sure that this is just a phase and that it will be over soon. Life really does go so fast, and before your know it you will wish that your little cuties were young again.

Jenn J. said...

I think every mother goes through this kind of thing, and we tend to beat ourselves up about the kind of mothers we are. We aren't fun enough, we don't give them enough of our attention, we don't keep the house clean enough, etc. I've found that when I feel this way, it helps to do something that I know the kids will LOVE, like, go to the zoo or heck, even to the McDonalds playland. It makes me feel better to know I am doing something completely for them,(and it's always fun to see your kids having a blast) and it also breaks up the everyday mommy stuff. Most importantly, you are a FABULOUS mom, and you can tell by how great your kids are. Oh, and if you ever get bored, I've heard you have a SUPER COOL neighbor across the street who is always up for hanging out. Stop by!!

Anonymous said...

I completely know how you feel. Just the other day, I woke up and thought to myself, "is this my life, changing poopy diapers and dealing with fussy kids?" And then I did what I'm sure a million other mothers do, I felt horribly guilty. I love my babies and I love that I'm their mommy. But how do you still feel like you are a person while giving your life to your children? I feel bothered when I don't have time to practice any of my instruments, so I get frustrated with my life, and then I feel like I'm being selfish. How do you find that balance? Something that I've been doing recently is finding things that I know both my kids and I like doing. We have been doing craft projects together. I'm not the most patient person and I can only play Hi Ho Cherry-O so many times before I go insane. But finding something that I enjoy doing as well makes for more enjoyable quality time with my kiddos. I'm happier during that time we are spending together, and I think they notice that.