Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Photo Assignment and more...

My Dad and some of his co-workers do photo assignments every week, and this week they invited me to join them.  The assignment is to walk, run, drive, etc. 10 min. from home and take a photo.  So, last night, I took the boys on a walk to see what we could find.  The first photo is my favorite.  Right as we were crossing the street, one of Drew's training wheels popped off.  I loved how the picture turned out though, with the long shadows and the texture of the road. The second picture could of been better, but I didn't notice that dumb light pole in the photo until I got the pictures on my computer.  I like sunflare, it's kinda fun.  I had my aperture at f/22 to get the sunbeams.  I had to bring up the exposure in Camera Raw and then did some other tricks to brighten up the sign, it was really dark.  This is a fun assignment though, it gets me away from the every day "smile-for-the-camera-kids!!" shot.  P.S. Dad, how do I make my photos horizontal?  It's totally crooked and it's buggin' me!!  Also, you might be wondering why I would choose to take a photo of a crosswalk sign.  I thought it'd be fun to do, since Drew is going to Kindergarten next year.  



Kinda Random, I know
If any of you are interested, I made a REALLY yummy salad today.  Here's the recipe!
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
1 Box short pasta, i.e. rotini, penne, farfalle, etc.
Fresh Spinach
1/2 bunch Cilantro
1 English Cucumber (they're wrapped in plastic)
1 red pepper
shredded carrots
Feta Cheese
1 pkt. Good Seasons Italian Dressing
Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Cook the pasta, drain and put in the fridge to cool down (don't wash it off, it takes all the starches off and then the dressing won't stick very well). Meanwhile, chop the cucumber and the pepper however you'd like-I chopped the pepper up in tiny little pieces, cause I don't like big chunks of pepper in anything.  Put Cuc's, pepper, and carrots in a large salad bowl.  In a seperate bowl, mix up the salad dressing (just follow the directions on the back).  I used white wine vinegar and about 1 T. of Balsamic.  You can use any kind of vinegar though... When pasta is cooled, combine with veggies in the salad bowl, top with the dressing and combine.  Take the Cilantro and set it on top of the salad and put this in the refrigerator (covered) for a couple of hours for the flavors to do their thing.  When you are ready to eat, remove the cilantro and you might need to add a tablespoon of vinegar if the salad is too dry.  Add the spinach to each serving and toss together-you want it to wilt a little-if you put it in before you refrigerate it, it gets too wilted (blech!) and then top each serving with feta cheese.  Also, if you're wondering why I don't just chop up the cilantro and include it in the salad, it's because I'd gag if I did that.  If you love cilantro, put it in, I'm sure you'll love it!!  
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Becki said...

What a fun assignment! I love the sun flare!! I need to try getting one of those. Since you shot in RAW did you edit in lightroom? Do you shoot in RAW very often? Can you edit RAW pics in photoshop? Sorry for all of the questions lol.

Thanks for the salad recipe too! I need to try something new and yummy and that looks perfect!

The Mama said...

I have heard about the Love and Logic book too. I might just have to read it now. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the weekly assignments, glad to have you along! I love that first picture. It tells a story, and the texture in it is wonderful!

You know, we are on a rotation, one week I pick the assignment, one week my sister picks it, one week your dad picks it. We would love to have you get in the rotation as well. Let me know what you think!

Jim's Photo Blog said...

How to level the horizon.....Look through the lens...just kidding. It looks like the sign is leaning. It is perp with the sides. Might have been cool to have the horizon level and have the sign lean. Wait....did you shoot with the 10.5mm? If you did there will always be a curvilinear edge. Unless you like the extreme perspective insure the camera is level and the front of the lens is perp with the ground.
Luv Ya
Dad