Friday, March 13, 2009

Toddler Talk

Cam is learning to say more of what is on his mind these days.  It seems his intelligence increases daily!  I love to see him understand more and express himself more with words (and not crying or throwing fits), a sign that babyhood is truly behind him.  Even more than speaking though Cam loves to sing.  He has quite a few songs that he can sing:  The Wheels on the Bus, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, the ABC's, Rocky-bye (I really don't know the real title to this one...), Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, I am a Child of God and Popcorn...(again, the title?)  But before you get too surprised at the library of songs he can sing, lets look a little closer at each song, and his, well, .....interpretation.
The Wheels on the bus:
He knows the actions, and rubbing his eyes for when the "babies on the bus...", but he usually just ends up singing, "all too da town."  
The Itsy Bitsy Spider:
He loves the actions, and I get a HUGE kick out of what he calls that spider.  Instead of saying the itsy bitsy spider, it sounds more like the itchy (now add a "b" to that and, and there's your second word!).  Very funny.
Twinkle twinkle is so, so sweet.  It usually goes like this:  "twinka, twinka witta stah, ha uh wuh uh whu uh are.  Uh, uh, uh, uh uh uh uh high, wike a dye-min in da sky, twinka twinka witta stah, ha uh wuh uh whu uh are."  He usually repeats this three or four times.
The ABC's: 
This is my personal favorite:  A _ _ _ _ _ Cheese (G)_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ P_ _ S _ _ _B (V) dubba a X ah eh C (Z), ow i o i ABC's (sung VERY loudly), X ty o eh sing wif eee.  I'm really proud that my 2 year old is teaching himself the ABC's, I hope he'll understand what his teachers are talking about when they start talking about the letter G (what? there's no G!! or how'll they'll explain to him that there aren't two "B's" in the alphabet).
Rocky-Bye:  This song goes like this (this is how TJ and I sing it) "Rocky bye, don't you cry, for we are going to Gram-my's, over the hill, down by the mill to see the little lam-mies."  He loves this one so much, he requests it at church...
Now Cam's version:
"Wockee bye, don a cwy, ..........gwam-my's, ................................lam-mies"
Now the next one is PROOF that the crazy antics that are acted out during "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam," are natural.  Cam will sing this on the top of his lungs, well, all he can say is "BEAM!" really loud and he jumps up.  I did NOT teach him this.  See, I told you.
I am a Child of God:  This one is so sweet too,  all he says is "..............God,........................................kind an dear...................walk be...me....hope me fiiiin away.............do...........a gin.
Popcorn:  He doesn't really know the words to this, but I love it when he does the actions along with me!!
One of the other things he has learned to do lately is Pray.  Well, we help prompt him.  But it is absolutely, without a doubt, hands DOWN the cutest thing EVER.  His voice automatically goes up at LEAST 3 octaves and ....okay, here's how it usually goes (the words in the parenthesis are me or TJ prompting him):
(Heavenly Father):  Heehhh Faddah
(We're thankful for this day):  a tank-uh uh dddaaaayyyy
(We're thankful for our family):  a uhhhh uuhhhhh faaaammmmweeeeee
(Please help us to sleep well tonight):  uhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhuhhhhh  night
(We say these things):  ah suhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  ings
(In the name):  a naaaammee
And he can say the rest very well.  The first couple of times that he said it, TJ and I kept looking at each other because it was just so stinkin' cute!!!  (Don't judge us, you would too if you heard it!!) :)  
p.s.  I didn' really take a photo of him praying...that would be totally sacra-lidge...I just had him fold his arms and bow his head as IF he were saying a prayer.

No comments: