Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Don't give up

So, today I had an opportunity to go listen to, as well as perform, for some other violin teachers in my area. We all have a few things in common, first, we're all violinists, we all teach and we all have or currently are taking lessons from my amazing mom. My first teacher (Jeanne Grover) performed, as well as a few other seasoned teachers. I have so much respect for these ladies. We all did something very difficult, and this is playing in front of our peers. I really realized how much I look up to and respect these other teachers. I also realized, that in the 7 years since I graduated from College, I've really missed practicing my violin. Recently, I've started playing with the New American Philharmonic. It's been a lot of fun playing in a symphony again. I have a goal to play something at every student recital so that I can keep up this talent I have. Since I've become a mom, I've not had the time to spend 2-3 + hours practicing, so I have tried to teach myself other skills and hobbies. After doing this, I realize that the thing I've spent the most time on, I've almost abandoned. I always want to keep learning new things, but also don't want to forget the things that I hold most dear. Now I teach violin (well, I've been doing it for about 9 years now) and I love it. It's amazing to see my students practice and grow and learn, and to see the confidence they gain by learning a new skill. My glory days are over, HAHAHA!, I had my time in college, but now is my time to share what I've learned with my students and my own children. Drew has been taking cello lessons for about a year now, and I can't tell you how many times I've been overcome with emotion while practicing with him. I love music, and I feel so blessed to be able to share that with him. And Cam starts violin lessons in the fall (THAT should be interesting!!). I'm so excited for it! Now I'm rambling, sorry!! I am just so happy to do what I do and to have recently rediscovered my love for this instrument. :)

1 comment:

Mat and Brooke said...

I'm proud of you...SO proud of you for working so hard all your life to develop such a beautiful talent! You are truly an amazing violinist. Not many people know how to stick to things like that and so I've really got to hand it to you! :)